[geeks] The Andromeda Strain

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 18:35:36 CDT 2008

On May 28, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Dr Robert Pasken <rpasken at eas.slu.edu>
wrote:

> let's see if can make it a little simpler
>
> Crichton is and MD. No problem there. Crichton wrote some good
> science fiction books. No problem there. Crichton writes a book
> called "State of Fear" where he, with malice of forethought,
> rewrites portions of more than 6 scientific papers outside of his
> discipline. He uses these delibrate falisifications of scientific
> research to claim that a whole class of scientists are LIARS AND OUT
> FOR PERSONAL GAIN WHILE AT THE SAME TIME COLLECTING MORE THAN
> $100,000 a year from the oil/gas industry. He seeks out public
> forums, Congress as an example, to further distort research
> conducted scientists outside his field of study.
>
> To say such a person has integrity is outrageous

Have people really lost the ability to appreciate a work of FICTION?

My issue with the remake is that it appeared to be written while the
writer was listening to Air America radio shows, instead of reading
the original book...

They had *every* hot issue from the last seven years included (every
time the "Geraldo" character spoke, another two or three DNC talking
points fell out of his mouth), with "Don't ask, don't tell" thrown in
to *balance* the discussion.[0]

Lionel

[0] don't ask, don't tell was President Clinton's first official act
in office - IIRC. Then things went down hill from there...