[geeks] grudging praise for a Microsoft product

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed May 28 09:31:47 CDT 2008

der Mouse wrote:
>> I do ... well, [something "nonstandard"].  And it works fine, as long
>> as I don't *think* about it.  But if I start thinking about what I'm
>> doing, then I get the centipede problem and my typing goes all to
>> hell.
>
> Interesting.  Maybe my typing has moved further down out of my
> conscious, or maybe I'm just better at detached introspection, but I
> find it perfectly possible to watch myself typing without disrupting
> it.

Oh, I can *watch myself* with no problem.  The more engrossed I am in
thinking about, say, the code I'm writing at the time, the less I need
to visually confirm what I'm typing.  It's just that if I start
consciously thinking about how I'm typing instead of just letting my
hands do it, then I get all screwed up.

> One thing I find intersting is that the pipeline appears to be
> something like six keystrokes long.  Another is that I type words, not
> letters, to some extent; when I make a mistake, it's easier and usually
> quicker to delete the whole word and retype it, rather than try to fix
> it, even if it's a long word like "integrated" or "impossible".

Yeah, I've noticed the pipeline effect too.  My most common class of
typo is race conditions -- the left-hand pipeline and the right-hand
pipeline get out of sync, so I end up with a word with all the right
characters in it, except that two of them (not always adjacent) are
transposed.  And particularly for short words, I do often find myself
backspacing up to a typo before my brain manages to interject "You know,
it'd have been quicker just to replace the one character."

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.