[geeks] Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro]

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 27 14:35:28 CDT 2008

On May 27, 2008, at 06:33 , Phil Stracchino wrote:

> The "moral descendents" of the Pilgrims like to focus on the
> Pilgrims and to remind everyone that the Pilgrim Fathers came to
> America fleeing from religious persecution in Europe.  However, as
> has oft been remarked, it's perhaps closer to the truth to say that
> they fled what they perceived as religious persecution in Europe,
> seeking the freedom to persecute others in their own way.

Have you ever seen a pilgrim house from early America?

They were built as small fortresses.  Iron riveted front doors, heavy
walls, and rifle outlets in the roof.

These were people who stirred up trouble, and had fortress-homes to
retreat to when their actions resulted in hostile retaliation.

I visited one still standing many years ago as a kid, and the
homesteads had as many warfare related features as they did
agricultural and business features.

Not that a good defensive structure is not prudent... it was the fact
that they made little effort to avoid its use that is more important.