[geeks] Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro]

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue May 27 08:36:18 CDT 2008

Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 23:08:48 -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> Now if you want to talk about other religious reasons, yes, a lot
>> did come here to avoid the English theocracy and European religions
>> issues, but those were not the pilgrims, that was a benefit for
>> nearly everyone.
>
> English theocracy ? If you don't want to appear to be on the lunatic
> fringe of the anglophobes (the ones over there: chained up, twitching,
> frothing at the mouth and howling at the moon), you might want to avoid
> that phrase.

IN the context of why the Pilgrims and others left at that point in
English histroy, it is a perfectly valid phrase - they left because they
  were considered heretics and traitors to the Crown.

"In 1593, the English parliament outlawed independent congregations.
Attendance of English (Anglican) church services was made obligatory."

BBC:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/47688.stm

> I don't doubt that there are problems ahead. I merely doubt the scale
> of the problem. Assuming that there were a 10% growth in the number of
> muslims in the UK since the 2001 census (wildly over optimistic even
> assuming every last illegal immigrant were islamic) we would have
> 2.66 million muslims in the UK (about 4.4%) today.

Whistling past the graveyard again it seems.

Muslims have the very highest birth rates of all immigrants to Britain,
meaning there are going to be a great deal more of them in the future.

And historically the minority Muslim population is not a problem until
the Muslims reach about 10-15% of the population, at which point they
start causing big problems. See what is happening in Nigeria for example.

--Patrick