[geeks] Socialized medicine [was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro]

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon May 26 16:27:58 CDT 2008

From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>

> wa2egp at att.net wrote:
> > There are jobs and wages that some out of work people do not want.  My wife
> doesn't want to work for less than X amount an hour.  She's still not working.
>
> My walking disability and chronic pain restrict what I can do, and the
> pain also makes it much harder to get through a f2f interview because
> most companies don't want to hire someone who's in near-constant pain.
> Compound that with the fact that any job I get has got to pay at least
> the cost of getting to it plus day care for three kids, just to break
> even, and ....   the pickings are slim indeed.

That is a different deal.  I bet I would have trouble getting a job due to my back.  Had that problem about 30 years ago where I was qualified to get a tech job in Burroughs (remember them?) but it got nixed by the doctor because he said I was only trying to get the job to get insurance to pay for my surgery (at the time I was paying my own).  Of course that bastard probably got his job in the company because of a heart attack and couldn't run a normal practice. (In fact, I know it because I knew some one who worked there and he gave me all the dirt on that dilweed.)

If I was an employer, I would want to find people who were qualified and who are willing to work and would be more interested in the latter.  Of course, today, I would probably go bankrupt. :)

Bob