[geeks] Barbeque Geekery

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun May 25 00:03:19 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 12:51:34AM -0400, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> I'd really like to get an espresso machine and a vacuum pot. I've never
> had vacuum pot coffee, but i would expect it to be pretty good, and
> since the whole thing looks like it belongs in a chemistry lab, I think
> it would be fun to use.

I had a vaccum pot back in the 1980's and it worked very well. I had
to give it up because it used a large rubber ring as a seal and the
ring wore out (the pot was as old as I am).

I replaced it with a glass one I bought at Harrods and had shipped back home,
which also worked qite well.

It did not make the trip here. :-(

Since then I've used various drip machines,etc. Now I am limited to one
cup of coffee a day, so I get along with a Melita filter cone and
water from a Brita filter. Brita filters here actually filter the water,
I understand in the ones sold in the U.S. don't work very well.

Although I've become enamoured of Coke Zero and tolerate sucralose, I can't
stand artifical sweetners in coffee, have to restrict my sugar and fat,
so I drink it black.

Just about every restaurant here has an espresso machine, so Starbucks
tried and failed to get into the Israeli market. The locals thought their
coffee overdone, overhyped and overpriced.

Geoff.