[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri May 23 21:26:25 CDT 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> der Mouse wrote:
>>> Both require money so they both have that limit.
>>
>> They do?  The Canadian one doesn't - at least not in my experience.
>
> Of course the Canadian system requires money.  It's just that the
> patient isn't the one paying.

Yes they are, it's just being obscured by the fact that their taxes are
used to cover it.

Also, not *all* medical costs in Canada are covered by the single payer
system.  Specifically prescriptions are not.  This is a double-whammy
for retired people, since, as far as I am aware, all prescription
insurance coverage in Canada is tied to employer group programs.  Having
a chronic health problem requiring drug maintenance in Canada and being
retired can kill your fixed income.

Yes, first hand--my mother-in-law is 82, on pension, and has chronic
health issues.  She's lucky insofar as her and my father-in-law
recognized that pension would not be enough and socked away a lot more
than many other people their age.

They also faced the limits of socialized medicine before my
father-in-law's death--they traveled to Baja for arthritis and COPD
treatments on their own dime in the '90s--treatments that were not
offered in Canada.

=Nadine=