[geeks] Game GPU clusters for supercomputering

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri May 23 14:09:56 CDT 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 23:29 , Joshua Boyd wrote:

>> On a related note, nVidia now sells GPU clusters.
>
> Well, they aren't very self sufficient.  I suspect that on average
> you need a 1U computer for each 1U of GPUs, and I think 1U of GPUs
> means something like 4 of them.

The S870 has 4 each 1U, yep.

That's actually pretty dense when you consider the power requirements
and the huge number of cores running.

> The GPU stuff is cool looking, but there are a lot of things I like
> better about the Cells.  The Cells seem a bit more straight forward
> to program.

I thought they seemed kind of weird, but then I've only read
documentation, not actually done either one.

I wish I had the opportunity.

> The Cells can take a lot more memory (first generation is 2 gigs per
> chip instead of 1.5 gigs, but the new model that just started
> shipping can take 32gigs per chip).

Yes, but the Cell doesn't actually address that memory directly.  The
way I understand it, they only address about 256K, and there are
instructions that treat the rest of the memory as an incoming stream
or something like that.

I have an article on how to program them efficiently, and it seems
anything but straight-forward to me.

> The Cells don't require a PC next to them.

I thought a front-end was a requirement for most applications though,
since you don't want to write a lot of the I/O handling part of your
app on the Cell.

It seems best to treat most of these things as coprocessors and do
your dirty work on a front-end host.

> And long term most importantly, the Cells seem to be much better in
> the documentation department.  With Nvidia, your choices are Cg,
> GLSL, or the CUDA C compiler.  The machine details aren't publicly
> documented.

They probably won't be doing that, since it would be giving away those
precious GPU secrets.

> With the Cell you have a lot of documentation and you have GCC,
> which means you have C, C++, Objective C, Fortran, and ADA.  I'm not
> sure that C++, Objective C or Ada are practical on the SPUs, but
> Fortran has got to be a big deal for a lot of people.  Oh, and we
> have assembly.  And having assembly means that we can get a lot more
> languages for it.

Heh... I'm not sure lacking GNU C support is a bad thing.

GNU compilers are only good in so far as they are widely available.  I
personally would love to see better compilers without the GPL baggage.