[geeks] grudging praise for a Micosoft product

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri May 23 11:05:12 CDT 2008

One of my clients recently loaned me a nice high-end Dell laptop.

I am very tough on keyboards, a symptom of having learned on a manual
typewriter. After less than 2 months the Dell laptop keyboard (not the
best keyboard to begin with) is showing shiny spots on the space bar and
certain keys.

I decided to get a Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 6000 that was on
sale at the local Staples, figuring it would reduce wear on the keyboard.

Well, not only is it doing that purpose, but I am finding that my wrists
and back are not sore at the end of the day.

When using a laptop keyboard for many hours I end up scrunching up due
to my arms being turned inward to hold the hands on the home row,
especially since the trackpad is right below the space bar.

While I was sure I would hate the differently shaped keys (G and H are
wider than Q and P for instance) I seem to have adjusted easily to it.
The padding on the palm rest is exactly the right firmness.  The mouse
is large and easy to control.

I bought it for about $30 from Staples on sale.  Even came with the
batteries.

Recommended.

--Patrick