[geeks] Import Fees

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri May 23 10:49:18 CDT 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Faugh.  "Carbon credits" are the new snake oil.  It's a giant shell
> game of buying and selling licenses to pollute, while pretending with
> a straight face that it'll make things better.  Papal indulgences in
> shiny new Imperial clothes.

It falls right in line with the "zero emmissions vehicle" laws in
California.  Unless your power company is 100% wind-generation and/or
hydroelectric, the emissions are far from zero.  They're just a good
distance away.  Out of sight, out of mind?

Carbon credits and this notion that human beings will wipe out life on
the planet, even if there is some underlying truth, is -primarily- a
government ruse to scare the people into handing even more control over
their lives to a tyrannical government interested only in continuing its
growth and rewarding the cronies that have gotten it so far.

If anyone thinks the current political meme of "nationalized healthcare"
in the US is any different, I would humbly submit that such a person
either has too much ill-placed faith in our national government, or
merely hasn't been paying attention.  It might work in other countries
(though I hear enough ranting from friends in Canada and England to
think it's just effective PR), but it will not work here due to
widespread corruption and an unwillingness among the people to take
account of their own involvement in and the consequences of their
decisions.

Want to eat three or four fast-food meals full of MSG, salt, and
saturated fats every day, drink HFCS-laden soda all the time, and limit
your physical activity to strenuous driving and a few sets of
channel-surfing reps?  Don't worry!  McHillama will save you!  Just pay
this little tax and you can be -healthy- again!

--
Jonathan Patschke | "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
Elgin, TX         |                                   --Mahatma Gandhi