[geeks] Drug prices (was Re: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro)

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri May 23 10:21:32 CDT 2008

hike wrote:
> I know a few doctors and have heard other complain in the media that the
> result of medicine advertising is that people/patients demand that the
> doctor prescibe these newly, advertised drugs.  The number of people who
> come in because "this new drug might work" is nil.  People that interested
> in their condition have always had other avenue to keep up with medical
> improvements in their area of interest.   From what these doctors have said,
> the negative greatly out weigh any positives.

And if their doctor says "That drug isn't appropriate for your
condition" or advises against it for some other reason, far too many
people will just doctor-hop until they find one who'll prescribe what
they want.  Parents who want the latest, greatest antibiotic for their
kid's cough and runny nose, and don't understand that there's no cure
for the common cold.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.