[geeks] Taxes

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri May 23 09:09:59 CDT 2008

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
> " I saw an interesting report last night that analyzed actual tax
> " reciepts as a percentage of domestic earnings, and oddly, no matter
> " what the tax rates were (91% down to the current "Bush Adjusted" tax
> " rates that "benefit the wealthy"), the gov't took in about 19.5% in
> " tax revenue. When the tax rate is higher, people find ways to reduce
> " their tax liability, when it drops, there is less incentive to do so...
>
> yeah, but shifting that burden from folks who can't afford to pay to
> folks who just don't want to is not unfair.

Personally, assuming retaining an income tax, I'd like to see something
like this:

The government annually publishes a surveyed state-by-state basic cost
of living for a family of a given size.  Income below that basic cost of
living is tax-free, regardless of how much money you make in total.  All
savings interest is also tax-free, no matter how much of it you have.
Personal inheritance would not be considered income, any more than
insurance settlements are.  All other income, including investment
income, above basic cost of living is taxed at a flat 10%.  No
deductions, no allowances, no deferments, no shelters, no loopholes.
Corporations get taxed at the same flat 10% across the board - and
that's 10% of gross revenues, not declared net profit after cooking the
books.

Tax accountants and tax lawyers would scream bloody murder, of course,
as would the IRS, since they'd practically become obsolete overnight.
But tax returns - personal and corporate both - would become one side of
one sheet of paper, that'd take five minutes to fill out.  All the
parasitic cost of complying with the current bloated system would just
go away, and as a bonus, it would become much easier to detect tax
evasion, and most tax fraud cases would be open-and-shut.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.