[geeks] Taxes

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri May 23 08:50:17 CDT 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> IIRC, that is why certain entertainers fled the UK back in the 70's and 80's, as they were "enjoying" 95% tax rates on their earnings... Which kinda makes you want to stop working (a lesson some politicians here in the US of A could stand to learn... It's way too easy to just say "we'll provide you X by taxing the rich").

Yeah, the UK labor governments of the 60s and 70s created a huge number
of "tax exiles".

During the height of the Harold Wilson labor governments in the mid-70s,
if you earned more than about #21,000 a year, made all of it from
investment (you were a stockbroker, say), and met one other condition
that currently escapes me, it was possible to be taxed at 102% of your
taxable income.

Footnote:  When the UK decimalized its money, the ten-shilling note was
replaced with a fifty-penny coin.  The new 50p piece was the same size
as the 10p coin that replaced the florin or two-shilling piece, but
while the 10p piece (and the florin, to which it was identical except
for markings) was a standard circular coin with a milled edge, the 50p
piece was a seven-sided constant-diameter polygon with a smooth edge.

To the great displeasure of then-PM Harold Wilson, this new 50p coin
rapidly became known as the Wilson, because it was said that like him,
it had many sides and two faces.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.