[geeks] healthcare was: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Thu May 22 14:46:56 CDT 2008

> So far there has been no plan in any nations I've seen yet, where the
> taxes are not higher than the free market costs for the same
> services,

True, and probably inevitable.  The major benefit is that of spreading
the cost out mor evenly, where "evenly" is actually defined by the
taxation mechanisms in place.

Or, of course, you may see that as a disadvantage rather than a
benefit.  And there are endless arguments over how useful the values of
"evenly" implemented by the various taxation systems are.  But that's a
choices every society has to make: to what extent should society as a
whole draw on the resources of individuals to supply others?  Every
society does this to some extent; indeed, something of the sort is
almost inherent in the very notion.  Given how humans en masse seem to
view such things, there are tensions pulling both ways, and for today's
richest societies, healthcare seems to be near the boundary.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca