[geeks] now Health Care

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu May 22 12:38:08 CDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 07:11:21AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The reality is, if you show up at an Emergency Room in America, you
> get treated. Maybe not right away (it's called triage, not rationing),
> but (as I understand it, and I am not an expert on the matter), our
> system is skewed towards waiting for bad things to happen,
> rather than try and prevent problems from ever occuring. Also, we have
> an ever-expanding laundry list of things "basic health care" is
> supposed to cover, including health club memberships, stop smoking
> clinics, etc. All have value, but do they really belong in
> employer-sponsored health insurance?

I don't get health club memberships or stop smoking clinics in my health
insurance.

However, were they to pay for a health club membership, and if I were to
use that membership, it would probably save them money in the long run.
Heck, to be honest, it could very well be saving them money within a
year by getting me off a covered prescription.  The money I spend on
copays on that drug would about pay for a nice gym membership.

Truth be told, I don't make excuses based on the cost, I make them based
on time.

> I will happily plead ignorance of the health care systems in other
> countries, even after enduring the latest Michael Moore "emission" - I
> tend to view the information I get about health care in other
> countries like the old story about the blind people describing an
> elephant (all examining the same thing, each from a different
> perspective).
>
> I will say without any reservation that the last thing I want is to
> put my health care in the hands of our current political leaders (no
> matter the party) here in the US of A.

Same here.