[geeks] healthcare was: nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu May 22 11:11:13 CDT 2008

On May 22, 2008, at 08:50 , Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> Mike Meredith wrote:
>>>
>>> ROFL! Unless the US has infinite resources to allocate to
>>> healthcare,
>>> it also has healthcare rationing. Open your wallet. See those bits
>>> of paper with "$" written on them ? They're ration tickets. It may
>>> or may not be a better rationing systems, but it's still a
>>> rationing system.
>>>
>> My point is, that you can have as much health care as you can
>> afford and the market can provide.  You get to be in charge, not
>> some bureaucrat who doesn't even have an MD.
>
> Instead, you're subject to the whims of some accountant who doesn't
> even have an MD.  And if the accountant doesn't think you need that
> treatment, you'll pay a "full price" that no-one else does.
>
> I personally think most of the healthcare problems in this country
> could be solved simply by requiring the hospitals to charge everyone
> the same rate.  That room that you want to charge me $1000 a day
> for, but my medical insurance company can get it for $75 a day?
> Charge me $75 a day for it, and cut out the middleman.
>
> If they can stay in business while charging my insurance company
> "contracted rate", then they can stay in business while charging me
> the same rate.

Careful what you wish for.

It is not uncommon for something that costs you directly $500, to be
charged to insurance companies at several times that.

For example, common case:

You have a procedure done which costs $600, and a 20% co-pay.

Sounds great, right?

But then after having it done, you find out the allowable insurance
charge is $5000, and so your co-pay is $1000.  Many procedures, you
are not allows to pay out of pocket, you must use insurance.  Neat
little scam, but perfectly legal.

Recently a woman was in the news because she lost a case like this.
The hospital absolutely robbed here, and it is perfectly legal.

> And if everyone was charged the "contracted rate" that medical
> insurance companies get to pay, most people would never need to have
> medical insurance at all, because they could afford their own
> medical care.

The problem is how to transition to that without everyone losing
healthcare in the meantime.

The base problem is that insurance was originally for emergencies, not
standard care.

But for various reasons, insurance started covering nearly every
medical visit, and the hospitals, clinics, and doctor's offices all
got lazy and started charging more.  It was free money, and they fed
on it voraciously.

It drove (some) medical salaries and medical operation profit margins
up and it became a business for profit rather than for taking care of
people.

This drove the cost up and the efficiency of most medical operations
down, so now the insurance companies can't afford to pay out like they
used to, and the bloated system is addicted to the cash flow.

20 years ago, a doctor I still visit had 2 nurses and 2 partners.  You
almost never waited, lab results were perfectly done, and it was all
very efficient and I felt like I was well cared for.

Now they have a dozen nurses, several administrative staff, and a much
larger office.

The visits now take longer, they don't do as good a job, and it costs
around 7 times as much as before even after insurance pays their
increasingly smaller part.

There is no reason that office could not be run with a single
secretary about about 4 nurses, but as long as the cash keeps coming
in, they will continue to be bloated, and will not fight back against
insurance handling overhead.

None of them can claim to be victims, because the entire medical
industry created this mess by feeding off of it and manipulating it.

The hospitals are even worse, with insurance handling now requiring
dozens of people who do nothing to take care of patients.  It's all
overhead, and they don't really care as long as the cash keeps coming
in.

> The medical insurance business as it now exists is little, if
> anything, more than a way for a bunch of accountants and speculators
> to stand in between the patients and the caregivers and siphon off a
> fat share of the money.  Let's face it - if they weren't making a
> profit off the business, they wouldn't be IN the business.  The
> hospitals are complicit in the scheme by agreeing to charge insurers
> anywhere from five to twenty times less than they charge uninsured
> private petients.

It's more complicated than that even.

Look at Sentara, one of the largest medical operations companies in
the USA.

They also own Optima insurance, which makes up a large percentage of
the insurance they process.

The first question is, "How can they afford to operate if they have to
pay their own bills?"

Actually, it is a huge scam.  For 15-20 years they had Optima match
steadily increasing charges for medical services.

This had the effect of forcing the other insurance companies to
increase their coverage, or they'd lost customers or be in violation
of regulations, laws, etc.

So in the end this increased Sentara's revenue, even though it seems
like it should have hurt them.

It might not be a long term win, but it certainly has made a lot of
people involved rich in the meantime.

That's just one of many ways the system has been abused.

A lot of it though, as I said above, is just simple laziness.
Insurance payments became free money, and encouraged people to use
medical services more often than they normally would.

The increased income has led to bloat and dependency on the now broken
system.

The trick is how to fix it, and it definitely does need to be fixed.

Socializing it is not the answer in the USA, the mess is just an
excuse to move that way because it sounds good to people who want a
handout and who don't realize the strings attached to it.

The other big issue is that in the USA, the "government" socialized
bits will be contracted out to the same people who created the current
mess, so how can anyone imagine this will fix things?