[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed May 21 22:37:51 CDT 2008

Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> From: Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com>
>> Date: 2008/05/21 Wed PM 10:19:05 EDT
>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro
>>

>> Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
>>
>>> I could see myself spending a few years there if I was forced to by
>>> investors in a startup. I would only do it if I thought there was a good
>>> chance I could retire when I was done, and was sure they would pay our
>>> airfare home no matter what. I would also require that they provide the
>>> same level of health care I have here and same quality schools for my
>>> two PDD (high functioning Aspberger's) children, which would probably
>>> cost more than many people make, but are free here.
>>>

>> If, by free, you mean paid for by the taxpayers. That money has to come
>>
> >from somewhere.
>
> Well, he has nationalized healthcare in Israel currently, and he is asking for the same level of coverage by an "imagined" employer/backer. All he is saying is that he won't reduce/sacrifice his families healthcare and education for a few sheckels in his pocket... In my mind he is 100% correct (as a father I have no other choice but to agree with him).

Oh, i agree with him (and you) 100%.  I have health insurance, but I'm
happy that it is paid for by me via my employer, not me via my
government.  It would be even better if it was cost effective for me to
simply shop for it myself and not be limited to what options my employer
has, and also not be at risk to lose it if i lose my job.  I was just
pointing out that there is no free lunch.  That service is paid for by
him somehow, be it directly or indirectly.

>> This is why I am opposed to national healthcare in the US.  Rising
>> insurance premiums are better than rising taxes.
>>

> Your projecting US Healthcare issues on his statement - he didn't ask for "free" services from the US Gov't, he asked for his potential employer/sponsor to "keep him whole"...

His statement was  pointing out that he would not have government
provided healthcare in the US as he does in Israel, and would need a US
employer to provide health care in order to match the overall benefits
that he has in Israel.  Given that health care coverage is a pretty
standard benefit of mid to upper class employment in the US, I would
speculate that this would not be a problem.  I was simply pointing out
that in my opinion, a national health care system will not fix the
problems that the current US health case system has.

    -Dan Sikorski