[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed May 21 18:54:14 CDT 2008

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2008/05/21 Wed PM 05:58:35 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

>On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 04:40:07PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>

>> The healthcare would be on the company, but as far as the education of
>> your kids goes, the much maligned "No Child Left Behind" should ensure
>> that your children get the education they need, in a manner they can
>> benefit from. I work around Education in NJ, and there are stories about
>> "Profound Need" children that have Individual Education Plans that
>> require programs that cost well over $100,000/year (very rarely some are
>> over $200,000/year), and they have to be met by the public school
>> system. Some districts are more reluctant to meet their requirements,
>> but all are obliged to under federal law...
>
>Ok, they are very "profound need". The older of the two is if you can imagine,
>like the "rain man", with a low IQ above normal. Last month when he had
>his annual evaluation for schools the person running the committee did not
>believe he had Aspberger's and asked to see the diagnosis.
>
>He's in 6th grade now and going to a new school for 7th. Because he is in
>special education, he was unable to get into the top public school in the city,
>and since then his grades have improved greatly. One girl he likes was
>accepted but turned them down to attend a private "Russian school".
>Much too rigid for him because of his PDD, and probably taught in Russian,
>(which he does not speak) but academically one of the best.
>
>He is in a regular classroom of 30, and he gets 10 extra hours of class
>each week and there are 2 classrom aids assisting the 5 special needs
>children in his class.
>
>My youngest son is different, he is in a class with 4 or 5 other students
>and takes classes in with a regular group part time. He's even more rigid
>and easily frustrated than his brother and has been on Ritalin since
>kindergarten (yes he needs it).

As you describe your children's needs, I know of many children, some with greater needs, that have similar educational programs. My school district, I feel, does a very good job working to help children with profound through slight needs, and as a result, has become a sort of "magnet" for special needs children (it's also a nice area to live, IMHO - I've been here 28 of the last 30 years, and plan to remain through retirement, NJ Taxes willing ;^)

My only point was that the treatment/education your children are currently getting is commonly available in the US - I'm glad your chilren's needs are being met to your satisfaction, that is the most important thing.

Take care,

Lionel