[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed May 21 16:02:39 CDT 2008

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 01:29:40PM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
>> Now you've done it and gone and gotten Geoff started on an import duty
>> rant! :-D
>
> No, that was it. :-)
>
>> My suggestion, get someone who you trust to buy you a PS3, disassemble
>> it and send it in multiple packages...
>
> I'm not even sure it would work. There may be problems with the games,
> power line frequency, etc. I guess if I were running only YDL on it,
> it would be fine, but my kids would scream.

Is Israel 220?  They sell these in Europe, so I'm sure that's not an
issue.  The big problem would be getting games if you get a US PS3,
since they are region-locked AFAIK.  You *may* be able to change the
region (iirc, PS2 was 5 changes, then whatever you set last was locked),
but I can't say for sure.

I don't know if there are any region hacks to ignore region on the PS3.

I just happened to find a Wii in stock at Target today, so I blew my
eBay profits and bought it.  I guess the new Mac will have to wait
another month. :-)

> I could just wait. We bought a used PAL PS for $50, I got a burnt out
> U.S. one for free (just needed a new fuse and transformer) and a PS2
> for $100. We spent more on new controllers and games than that.

I don't buy new games if I can help it.  I buy used, and trade the old
ones back for credit, like we do with paperback books.  Or, I wait until
things I know I'll keep (like Gladius) are discounted heavily.

> If I were really going to rant, I'd start one on the lack of good CEO's for
> startups. I really think that if I parked a bus outside the House of
> Pancakes and offered jobs here to CEO's of failed silly valley startups,
> I could find companies for the whole bus load of them to start, and
> probably get seed funding for them all.

You'd have to go more up-scale in Silicon Valley than IHoP. :-)  I've
been getting cold-calls from recruiters in Silicon Valley, which I find
a bit surprising.  Not that I've been tempted to call them back; I can't
bear the thought of living in Silicon Valley again, even though I miss
the Thai food.

=Nadine=