[geeks] [barf-bag required] $13 an hour for Unix geeks, spit...

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed May 21 15:33:31 CDT 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Bill Bradford wrote:
>> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 08:18:53AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> And I suspect the cost of living in Houston is about 2 -2.5 times
>>> what it
>>> is in Mechanicsburg, PA.
>>
>> Houston:  2-bedroom apartments can be had for $795-895.  You can get a
>> nice
>> house for between $150-200K.
>
> Wow!  Two bedroom apartments in a decent neighborhood in *Poughkeepsie*
> (let alone NYC) are $1100+.  For $200K, your house will be about to
> collapse under its own weight.

Houston hasn't imploded under the weight of tech expansion.  Most of
Houston's "boom" happened during the oil boom in the 70's, and it's
grown been slow and steady since then.  Hence, housing prices are still
reasonable.

Well, and you know, Texas is just "bigger", so the growth of the city
outwards is not so difficult. It's not going to bump into another large
city until Dallas in the north, and Austin/San Antonio to the
west/northwest.  It's less dense, but more sprawled, which causes
commute headaches, but keeps RE prices down.

=Nadine=