[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed May 21 15:00:03 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:51:39PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
> "
> " []
> "
> "
> " Besides, at this point if one wants to play games on their computer,
> " they should probably just get a PS3 and install linux, right? ;)
>
> doesn't the ps3 [and wii and xbox] already run linux 'under the hood'?
> and on ppc too?

Do you mean the xbox or the xbox 360?

Sure, all are capable of it.  I doubt that they come from the factory
with linux installed.  Especially not the xboxs.

Reportedly, the original xbox ran a variant of windows nt.  The new xbox
is supposed to run a variant of what the last one ran according to an
interview that I no longer recall the source of.

I suspec that the wii either uses an in house OS, or they bought another
OS somewhere rather than use linux.

The PS3 could possibly run linux by default.  Sony claims not, but that
could be cluesless press people meaning that it isn't user accessible
(at one time there had been talk of them installing YDL on all PS3s by
default).  They do keep a hypervisor running when you setup linux, to
prevent linux from using all of the hardware.  I suspect they are afraid
that someone could otherwise use linux to copy BluRay discs or games.

I would have though that if either ran linux, we would know by now from
someone tearing their machiens apart and looking the contents of flash,
roms, and disk.  No one seems to be doing the hard core hacking on these
boxes that happened on the original XBox and GC.  I wouldn't have
thought that hacking the wii's roms would have been any harder than it
was to hack the xboxs roms.