[geeks] nVidia 8800GT for Apple Mac Pro

Mark md.benson at gmail.com
Wed May 21 02:07:24 CDT 2008

On 21 May 2008, at 05:26, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Then again... with 8 pipelines it is probably "good enough" for
> Apple's PDF system and a little bit of 3D eye candy if the software
> is not too new.

To be utterly honest I found the GeForce 7300 GT to be fairly adequate
for most stuff in OS X, and it did better than I expected for Windows
games (because if the 512MB of VRAM). I bought the 8800GT for the
Direct X 10 support (in Windows) and to give the Core Graphics filters
in OS X a bit more legs. It's already proven a worthy investment,
although 2 times I have had the machine lock up coming out of sleep,
and also the fan spins flat-out on the card when it turns on/comes out
of sleep until the video signal kicks in, which annoys me a bit but
only slightly.

Overall, having seen what games look like on the 8800 GT, it was a
worthy investment. I definitely noticed more general graphical speed
in OS X, and if that's not optimised, I can't wait for the performance
when it is :).

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: