[geeks] Remote Failover

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue May 20 10:47:43 CDT 2008

Anyone have a pointer to where I might find some information about
configuring a pair of Apache servers and a DNS infrastructure to perform
remote web server failover?

I'd like it to happen something like:

1.	One of the web servers notices that another is down.

2.	The web server that noticed the error sends a message to the DNS
server updating the "www" CNAME to remove the downed machine.

3.	The downed machine comes back up and notices that it is no longer in
the DNS round-robin so it sends a message to the DNS server to add
itself back into the "www" CNAME.

Of course, I could write code (or even shell scripts) to do all of this,
but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if there is a solution already
available.

Thanks.

Peace...  Sridhar