[geeks] Recommendations: Color Laser printer

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon May 19 14:18:22 CDT 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 15:02 , Bill Blum wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations on good (or more specifically,
> non-crappy) color printers capable of moderate volume.
>
> We've got a department head who's dead-set on being able to do small
> runs of
> brochures, etc. 'in house'.
>
> I've been underwhelmed by the Dell 5100cn, and I'm not happy with
> some of
> the Xerox Phasers we have on campus.
>
> Any suggestions welcomed.

Is a color laser OK?

They are cheaper to run than inkjet.

Having said that, the larger commercial inkjet printers are somewhat
easier to maintain than the smaller ones, and there are more external
ink tank solutions for them.

I've seen 10K page per month HP photo printers in wide format (20
inches I think) at CompUSA for around $1200.

I have no idea what they cost to run.

They can print on glossy paper of course, but everything I've heard
says the color lasers look good enough for a lot of that type of
printing, and are cheaper to run.

I know a shop that uses one of the IBM color PostScript printers, and
they said it seems to be quite nice.