[geeks] [barf-bag required] $13 an hour for Unix geeks, spit...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri May 16 21:06:59 CDT 2008

>From: Nadine Miller <velociraptor at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/05/16 Fri PM 08:49:49 EDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] [barf-bag required] $13 an hour for Unix geeks, spit...

<snip $13/hr Solaris admin posting>

>They are looking for Jr. Sys Admins, but are trying to filter out the
>GUI psuedo geeks by putting in all that other stuff.
>
>Jr. Sys Admins working the phones at an Co-Lo in LV are running $15 an
>hour, so for a smaller town, I'm not surprised at all with $13/hr.  Note
>that it doesn't say anything about being on-call, so all this person is
>going to be doing is handling cases kicked to them by the sorters when
>the sorters can't point the person to a FAQ.

That $15/hr job in Las Vegas does not sound like Jr. Admin, it sounds like Help Desk, and $15/hr is about right for that. Someone with backup, networking, system configuration, etc. as that posting was asking for is not a help desk person, that is a *real* Jr. Admin (can do the work, but has minimal exp. actually doing it - i.e. book smarts, dinking around with home systems, but no real measurable exp. on their resume IMHO).

>Think: password resets, checking to make sure the network problem really
>exists, etc.

Again, that sounds like Help Desk, not Jr. Admin. In my opinion (and understand I've *never* hired a Jr. Admin), a Jr. Admin works besides a more exp. Admin and brings to the job an interest in learning things and the ability to learn from a mentor and repeat tasks after they have been explained.

Lionel