[geeks] [barf-bag required] $13 an hour for Unix geeks, spit...

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri May 16 19:49:49 CDT 2008

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>>> Applicants must pass a pre-employment drug screen, 7-year criminal
>>> history check, and be very reliable.
>>>
>>>    * Location: Camp Hill, PA
>>>    * Compensation: $13.00/hr
>>
>> I could use a few of those as well - esp. at $13/hr ;^)
>>
>> The thing that makes this listing have a chance is that they don't
>> require college education, meaning a Linux weenie could get the gig,
>> and continue their night school education...
>>
>> I wonder who is using Solaris in the Camp Hill area???
>
> Well, the area includes the Naval Supply center, lots of big logistics
> companies (intersection of I-81 / I-83 / PA turnpike etc), plus PA's
> oversized, bloated bureaucracy a/k/a State government.

They are looking for Jr. Sys Admins, but are trying to filter out the
GUI psuedo geeks by putting in all that other stuff.

Jr. Sys Admins working the phones at an Co-Lo in LV are running $15 an
hour, so for a smaller town, I'm not surprised at all with $13/hr.  Note
that it doesn't say anything about being on-call, so all this person is
going to be doing is handling cases kicked to them by the sorters when
the sorters can't point the person to a FAQ.

Think: password resets, checking to make sure the network problem really
exists, etc.

=Nadine=