[geeks] fortune

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon May 12 18:58:55 CDT 2008

Jonathan Katz wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:42 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Anyone know offhand how to rebuild the .dat files for fortune...?
>>

> It's been a long time; I thought they were all text based with %% as a
> separator?

The fortune files are, yes.  But there's also .dat files that are
clearly generated by one hash tool or another.  I discovered that if you
fix typos in the, for example, fortunes2 file, and do not rebuild
fortunes2.dat, then all fortunes in fortunes2 after the point you edited
will be off by the number of characters you inserted or deleted to fix
the typo.  Currently half the file is off by two.  I *could* undo my
edits, but I'd rather figure out how to rebuild the .dat files.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.