[geeks] ZFS sanity check

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon May 12 12:18:55 CDT 2008

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> Can my swap be on the zpool, and is it a good idea to do so?  Am I
>> better off to put the swap on separate spindles from the boot disks to
>> spread accesses, or put it on the same spindles to minimize the number
>> of disks ZFS is only partially managing?
>
> If you think your system will be swapping a lot, then it does help to
> spread the I/O out a little.
>
> However, when a system is paging to disk so much that drive speed
> becomes a factor, you are already running at a fraction of your system's
> full speed, so the real solution is to not need so many active pages on
> disk.

Honestly, I'm expecting the machine to seldom swap or be heavily loaded.
  It's a dual-Xeon Tyan motherboard with 4G of DDR333 RAM on it and four
more slots available.

>> What else should I know?  What other factors should I be aware of that
>> can affect my filesystem planning?  Is there a better way of
>> approaching the whole problem?
>
> The best method, if you have time, is to do a full install of everything
> you want and partition the system so every base dir has its own mount
> point.
>
> Then look at how much space is taken up and make a plan.
>
> It sucks in a way, but it's a sure way to know what is taken.

True.  Then again, if I'm going with separate boot disks, I can just
throw all the base install on them, sigh theatrically about all the
unused space, and not worry about it.  I can pick up a pair of Fujitsu
40GB 2.5" SATA disks for $90.

Do 2.5" notebook SATA disks use the same physical connectors as 3.5"
SATA disks?  I'm assuming they would, but assumptions have been wrong
before.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.