[geeks] ZFS sanity check

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon May 12 12:07:15 CDT 2008

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Oh ...  forgot to add:  Am I better off trying to shoehorn in a
> completely separate boot disk and leave the array disks entirely for
> ZFS?  I do have one free 3.5" bay in the case that I could put a
> standalone boot disk into, and I just discovered two unused SATA ports
> on the motherboard.  (The 12 array disks are on a battery-backed
> controller.)

And on that subject, does anyone have any experience with these or
similar products?

http://www.sansdigital.com/instaraid/is12tb.html
http://www.cyberresearch.com/store/product/hddm_2500b_4941.2.htm

I don't actually even need an enclosure, just a bracket to mount two
2.5" SATA disks in a single 3.5" bay.  Surely that should be cheaply
available somewhere.  If I can do that, I can have a mirrored boot
without touching any of the big 300GB disks.  I've managed to find one
internal adapter bracket-only, but (a) it's on a .UK store, and (b) it's
set up and cabled for PATA disks.

   alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.