[geeks] Chinese buying Macs?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon May 5 00:44:42 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 07:06:51AM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:

> You do know that his biological father is Syrian? Hence he appears on
> wikipedia's list of famous Arab Americans:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Arab_Americans

I think he was Egyptian. Around the turn of the 20th century and the
period after World War I, many Arabs emigrated to Egypt to find work.

There always has been an incorrect belief among Jews that both Jobs
and Wozniak are Jewish, neither are.

There has been lots of speculation about why he has never been here,
from being anti Jewish/Zionist to it being in his contract with YEDA, the
company that until last August had an exclusive Apple franchise for
Israel.

The contact ended, and a consortium run by the son of Shimon Peres,
now the President of Israel and former Prime Minister. As soon as they
won the franchise, they bought YEDA. Here comes the new boss, same
as the old boss :-)

YEDA had a double the U.S. price, and ignore you the best we can while
ripping you off policy which changed a few years ago, believed to be
due to pressure from Jobs.

Chemi (a nickname for Nechama) Peres' company is called iDigital.
They are going to open an Apple Store, translated Leopard in Hebrew and
lowered their prices almost 30%. That may not be such a big change in
price, the dollar has fallen almost 30% against the Shequel since last summer.

Apple does not have any research or manufacturing facilities in Israel and
was sued by an Arab group because some of their lithium batteries were made
by Tadrian, an Israeli company. Now all of their processors were designed
and are made here.

Geoff.