[geeks] Chinese buying Macs?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun May 4 04:40:54 CDT 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 08:50:22AM +0200, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> I suspect Geoffrey has hit the nail on the head here - how good is the
> right-to-left Hebrew support in OS X, Geoffrey? If the answer is "very
> good" then surely the same is true for Mandarin support, etc?

The right to left support in OSX is excelent. It is not bad in localized
versions of OS9 either. The difference between Chinese and Hebrew is that
until now there was no Hebrew localized (Hebrew Menus) support in OSX.

Next month the new owners of the Apple franchise in Israel will be opening
an Apple store, complete with legal iPhones and a Hebrew localized version
of Leopard. Steve Jobs is rumored to be here for the opening, the first
time on record of his being in the country.

Note that Tiawan uses left to right characters, but they use a very large
alphabet, which works much better on MacOS than it does on Windows.

Geoff.