[geeks] Let's see, that's how many dual socket, quad core machines...

Andrew Sydelko andrew at sydelko.org
Fri May 2 10:31:37 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2 May 2008 10:06:49 -0400
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 08:06:37AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > On slashdot.org I just saw a piece about Purdue Univ.'s plan to build
> > a super computer in a "barn-raising" fashion on 5 May with 200
> > employees working to make it happen...
> >
> > Link to a non-slashdot story about it:
> >
> > http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=29153
>
> I believe that would be 812 dell dual socket quad core systems.
>
> It would have been nice to see some mention of interconnects used and
> system topology, as well as what is being done for file storage, and
> scheduling.

The majority of the machines are connected just through gigabit
ethernet. They are using a Foundry Networks BigIron switch for about
600 machines. They are also using an Infiband interconnect for a
smaller set of machines.

It's also more like 100 volunteers, but it's still a pretty massive
effort. The amount of prep-work (hauling out old clusters, cleaning and
vacuuming under the raised floor, installing and baying new racks,
putting in new power, running the MRJ21 network cables from the Foundry
switch, etc.) has also taken them a couple of weeks.

The work that's being done on May 5 is just unboxing, racking and
cabling machines, starting the network based install and then getting
rid of all the trash.

--andy.