[geeks] geek porn: ancient telecommunications

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Mar 30 22:00:45 CDT 2008

http://flickr.com/photos/ridireacht/2375432447/

Photo of an old telecom pole featuring single lines on glass insulators.

This is in Newport News, VA near Hosier Street, near a large rail
crossing.

Weather was bad, camera was wet, and I  had the wrong settings... but
I stitched together a panorama of one of the poles because it was
interesting.

These lines run for miles and miles, probably 50 miles at least, maybe
more.

A friend of mine says they go from lower east end Newport News all the
way to Richmond, maybe further.

I'm kind of surprised no one has torn them down.

Also, at this location was a large metal box of electrical gear hooked
into the lines.

Not sure if it was a repeater or what, but it looks to be pretty old
itself.

More pictures when I get time.