[geeks] MacOS backup software, media spanning, incremental...

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Mar 30 11:33:23 CDT 2008

On Mar 30, 2008, at 03:34 , sammy ominsky wrote:

> On 30/03/2008, at 09:46, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
>> I have Superduper, but that's really just a mirror, and I run Time
>> Machine for "Oh crap!" situations, but don't consider it a real
>> backup.
>
> Why do you not consider it real backup?

No incremental backups (no, the hard link trick is not an incremental
backup).

Does not backup to removable and portable media.

No snapshot backups.

Very little control over how it runs, even with known hacks.

Cannot configure selective backups without tremendous labor.

It's simplistic controls on what to backup and what not to backup are
easily confused by dynamic paths and devices.

It cannot backup other machines remotely.

There are a few more, but the above are show stoppers.