[geeks] [rescue] Airport Security and Rescues...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Mar 28 15:54:07 CDT 2008

" From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>
"
" Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
" > "
" > " >From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
" > "
" > " <snip>
" > "
" > " (MOVED to geeks)
" > "
" > " >the barbary coast pirates.  one of my ancestors had something to do
" > " >with them, not one of his more shining moments but his career in
" > " >general was good enough that his is the most-reused [5 so far] ship
" > " >name in the us navy.
" > "
" > " Don't tease - what was it?
" >
" > bainbridge.  destroyers all; #1 was dd1, #5 is burke-class ddg96.  my
" > mother christened it at bath iron works.

ps. my grandmother christened #4, a nuclear 7th-flt destroyer, in '59
at quincy naval shipyard.  i barely remember it.  i was 5.

" Isn't DD-1 #2?  The 1812 ship was before registry numbers, no?

the 1812 ship was the constitution; commanded by him, not named for
him.  you're right that it was before numbers; dd1 was iirc early 20th
c.  i now wonder why they waited so long.

my mother has a nice impressionistic charcoal of the commodore and all
the older ships surrounding the ddg96, with their dates, a gift of the
official navy artist.  i must remember to look at it next time i
visit.