[geeks] VMware and CentOS

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Mar 27 15:39:52 CDT 2008

Ido Dubrawsky wrote:

> My suspicion is that it's VMware Server that's destabilizing the system
> since ever since I installed VMware Server 1.0.5 this morning it has
> been crashing even MORE frequently.  Has anyone else had similar
> experiences?  Should I migrate to XenSource?  Any other recommendations.
> I'd like to keep this box as a virtual lab but I really need it to be
> stable.

Nothing in the logs?

You might want to enable sar (yum install sysstat I think) and it will
take snapshots of all activity every 10 minutes, so you could analyze
what was going on before the crash.

Do you have all the virtual hard disk pre-allocated, or do you have it
set to auto-extend?  Are you sure both the host and the virtualized
system have enough swap?

Might want to try VirtualBox (VirtualBox.org) as I installed it on both
Windows and OpenSolaris and it seems to work OK.  Will probably be free
and open source since Sun bought them a few weeks ago.

Have not beaten hard on it however, yet.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net