[geeks] VMware and CentOS

Ido Dubrawsky idubraws at dubrawsky.org
Thu Mar 27 15:15:38 CDT 2008

I have a VALinux 2240 2U with dual 1 GHz Pentium III and 2G memory. I've
installed CentOS 4.5 on it and VMware Server 1.0.5.  I've had everything
from VMware 1.0 to 1.0.5 on it but everytime there's enough disk
activity the host OS goes belly up and I lose all my work.  At this
point I'm in the process of migrating my virtual disks to another
machine so that I can rebuild the box completely with CentOS 5.1.  The
only problem I have is I can't decide if the problem is in the hardware,
the Adaptec SCSI driver in Linux (I can't imagine so since this server
used to be my IDS box running RedHat 9.0 and it NEVER crashed this much).

My suspicion is that it's VMware Server that's destabilizing the system
since ever since I installed VMware Server 1.0.5 this morning it has
been crashing even MORE frequently.  Has anyone else had similar
experiences?  Should I migrate to XenSource?  Any other recommendations.
I'd like to keep this box as a virtual lab but I really need it to be
stable.

Ido

--
Ido Dubrawsky