[geeks] FYI - Low cost Dell Opteron Servers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 26 20:58:17 CDT 2008

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2008/03/26 Wed PM 05:06:03 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] FYI - Low cost Dell Opteron Servers

<snip>

>If this machine will run 24/7, like every other PC I've built myself,
>I'll be happy.

I wouldn't anticipate a problem, IIRC Mr. Bill was happy with his Dell SC440 (Correct model? it was one of their low-end servers, much like the T105 you and I ordered), and I've been very happy with the few "baby servers" I have at home (I have a Dell PowerEdge 750 (1U P4 server) that has run 24x7 for about three years +/-, without a hiccup (behind a UPS). I recently upgraded the CPU to a 2.8 GHz P4 with Hyperthreading from a Celeron 2.4 GHz, and it made a big difference ;^)

Bottom line, if the environment is not hostile, I think these units perform just fine, esp. considering their price...

Lionel