[geeks] FYI - Low cost Dell Opteron Servers

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 25 16:31:04 CDT 2008

>From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2008/03/25 Tue AM 09:46:53 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] FYI - Low cost Dell Opteron Servers

>On Mar 24, 2008, at 14:08 , Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Just wanted to share a current promotion at Dell for their low-cost
>> Opteron tower server (starting at $249):

<snip>

>I wonder if this thing is quiet?

These low-end Dell servers are usually very quiet, but I can't speak to this server specifically. It only has a 305 watt power supply and it looks like it has resonable air flow, so it should be quiet.

These servers are made for office-space use, not data center use...

>It's tempting to pick one up instead of building out my own PC server,
>which I'm in the process of doing.
>
>The only downside is I wish it had just one more hard drive bay.

You *should* be able to have 4 HDs internally, 2 in the internal HD trays, one in the 5 1/4" bay (with adapters) and a fourth in place of the floppy drive.