[geeks] P2P Monitoring / Mitigation

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzied.us
Tue Mar 25 14:06:46 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 04:34:55PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:

| Implement IP quota: If a student in a dorm leaches more then e.g. x MB /
| week disable the corresponding switch port / MAC address.

Keep track of the bytes used by each address/port/MAC address and
publish a list of the biggest users for all to see.

Ideally, this would done by port, and people could match ports to dorm
rooms or people.

A bit draconian, but it might do the trick.  It might also drive
people to doing their downloading from the lab to a USB drive, where
the traffic they generate will be less easy to pin on them.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzied.us
I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted paychecks.