[geeks] P2P Monitoring / Mitigation

Bill Blum bill.blum at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 12:06:07 CDT 2008

Bill Bradford wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:36:44PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
>> Has anyone considered human-level measures, such as telling the
>> students "look, people, we don't have the bandwidth to support this"?
>> (It might help, it might not, depending on the students.)
>
>"Anyone caught running P2P filesharing apps will have their room's network
connection terminated or throttled to 64kbps ISDN speeds."

>Bill

Well, the average student user at my school isn't that technically literate---
unless it impacts their Myspace, Facebook, or Limewire/Bearshare access,
they're effectively oblivious.

Our other problem-- neither myself or my boss really have any business mucking
around internally in the Cisco gear, as it was all installed by an
Outside Contractor
when we went from POTS+ethernet and campus-wide wireless access.
(I can build you a radar from off-the-shelf-parts.   I'm still lucky
to get a cat-5 cable right on the first try).

I'm looking at Packetfence, and pfSense may work as well.
Thanks for the guidance, people.
--
Bill Blum
Bill.Blum at gmail.com
"Experience is the knowledge that enables you to recognize a mistake
when you make it again."