[geeks] P2P Monitoring / Mitigation

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Mar 25 11:59:19 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:36:44PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> That hardly "allows ... VoIP to go through unimpeded".  If nothing
> else, it means VoIP traffic (most RTP packets are >100 bytes) will be
> competing with anyone trying to do anything else that hits that limit.

Are they? AFAIK SIP packets with header compression are about 90 bytes
long.

When they first started packet8 packets were much bigger but after
a few months they also cut them down. Or did they just go to
compressed header SIP packets? I never payed much attention to them,
I went with Vonage and the one person I knew with a P8 unit now sells
SIP services.

> It wouldn't take more than some 30 simultaneous calls to blow out a
> 1Kpps limit (depending on how much sound the implementations put in a
> single packet).  How big is "the entire dorms"?

Ok, how big are they? My point was to NOT limit them, by allowing
small packets through.

> Of course, depending on details of the circumstances, you may not care
> about any of that. :-/

I don't know. If he is looking for a VoIP deal, I know of someone
who provides those services. One university negotiated a VoIP deal
with unlimited calls within the U.S. for everyone and it cost them
less than billing their students for calls when they had a POTS
system.

If you put a SIP switch inside the "cloud" and allowed it "ulimited"
bandwidth to their SP's switch, it would work. One thing you really
want to get rid of or throttle is Skype, which will kill a well
connected network.

> Has anyone considered human-level measures, such as telling the
> students "look, people, we don't have the bandwidth to support this"?
> (It might help, it might not, depending on the students.)

I seriously doubt that. Of course, he may be at Brigham Young. :-)

Geoff.