[geeks] P2P Monitoring / Mitigation

Tue Mar 25 11:36:44 CDT 2008

> 2. QOS them to death.  If you QOS packets over 100 bytes to 1k per
>    second for the entire dorms, you pretty much kill p2p.
> [...]
>    It still allows tcp ack packets, traceroute, ping and VoIP to go
>    through unimpeded.

That hardly "allows ... VoIP to go through unimpeded".  If nothing
else, it means VoIP traffic (most RTP packets are >100 bytes) will be
competing with anyone trying to do anything else that hits that limit.

It wouldn't take more than some 30 simultaneous calls to blow out a
1Kpps limit (depending on how much sound the implementations put in a
single packet).  How big is "the entire dorms"?

Of course, depending on details of the circumstances, you may not care
about any of that. :-/

Has anyone considered human-level measures, such as telling the
students "look, people, we don't have the bandwidth to support this"?
(It might help, it might not, depending on the students.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca