[geeks] FYI - Low cost Dell Opteron Servers

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Mar 25 11:05:51 CDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:55:59AM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> For just extra storage, sure, though I would likely use Firewire.
>
> I meant something like one primary OS drive, and a pair of bays for
> RAID.

I see what you mean.

At this point I wouldn't do that anymore if I could in any way avoid it
though.  I want mirrored boot as well, if at all possible.  So, two
versus three bays doesn't bother me so much.  If it had three, I'd just
be saying what you are now saying.

Although, my home file server doesn't have mirrored boot at the moment.
It had mirrored root and mirrored data, but I had just bought a house
(thus had no money to spare) and was desperate for space, so I switched
it to single boot and a 3 drive RAIDZ.

Later this year I plan to fix that, when I buy a new file server.  But I
expect I'll stick with SPARC hardware still, and the new server will
probably have a lot of external disks.