[geeks] linkedin.com - Social Networking for Business

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 24 07:20:16 CDT 2008

>From: Dan Duncan <danduncan at gmail.com>
>Date: 2008/03/23 Sun PM 11:37:25 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] linkedin.com - Social Networking for Business

<snip>

>Just this past week an old friend contacted me looking for a job lead
>and I asked him for a
>resume to send to another friend.  I found it interesting his resume
>lacked the "once ran for Congress"
>entry it could have contained.

I'm sure he felt that including his "failure" would be a strike against him in the eyes of most HR screeners. Personally I would find it interesting, but politics is a very touchy subject... If he's not careful, such a claim could make him look like a political "wacko" and put off potential employers...

Here in my district, we have an incumbent congressman that for some reason needs to raise a million dollars for his reelection, and last year his opponent was the janitor at the local home appliance company... My district is one of those that was given up on my the opposition, so of the million dollars my congressman raises, a great chunk of it goes to other politicians since he doesn't need to spend it on his campaign...

Heck, I'd run, but I don't think I'd fare any better than the janitor (my neighbors like their "Actually, my congressman IS a Rocket Scientist" bumper stickers, but he has really opened himself up to a counter campaign based on the phrase "It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist").

Lionel