[geeks] Doorbells

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Mar 20 06:02:55 CDT 2008

Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:15:32 -0400
> Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
>
>> One of projects on my list is to make a network enabled, MP3 playing
>> doorbell.
> Rube Goldberg machine.
>
> What is wrong with a little transformer, a simple switch, sone wire and a
> real bell? A few $ and you get a solution as simple and robust.

Basically nothing except that they're all but impossible to get any
more, meaning you have to fab your own bell.  It's been on my long-term
projects list "for when we have a house of our own again" for years.  I
was hoping for a simple stopgap before the POS we have now drives us crazy.

--
   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2         ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
   alaric at caerllewys.net            alaric at metrocast.net
           It's not the years, it's the mileage.