[geeks] Doorbells

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Thu Mar 20 03:30:05 CDT 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 21:15:32 -0400
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> One of projects on my list is to make a network enabled, MP3 playing
> doorbell.
Rube Goldberg machine.

What is wrong with a litle transformer, a simple switch, sone wire and a
real bell? A few $ and you get a solution as simple and robust.

Actually at $WORK we build a doorbell switch with microphone, speaker,
... that is connected to a IP network camera via USB. The camera in
turn initiates a VoIP / SIP phone call if someone presses the dorbell
switch... I consider this as a (Rube Goldberg machine)^2 on steroids.
I can't imagin a more complicated way to do such a simple task. But
people seem to like such overengineered gadgets. So we build and sell
them for $$$.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen