[geeks] Doorbells

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Mar 19 23:46:06 CDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 09:27:51PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> I'd do that if the existing doorbell was hardwired.  It isn't; it's a
> self-contained POS that plugs into an electric outlet, as described above.

I don't know how true this is, but from what I have read most of the
cheap WiFi routers have some sort of either serial or GPIO (single
bit input) port on their motherboard. If you get one with a GPIO
port than can run Linux, it would be simple enough to convert it
to a door bell transmitter.

If you can find one with a USB port on it, you could use it to transmit
a WiFi signal AND play sound samples via a USB "sound system".

In fact you have just given me an idea, and this is "first publication"
for patent rights. A programmable device for playing sounds when actuated,
for example, a programmable sound doorbell, with or without wireless
signaling (WiFi, Bluetooth), and an entire business of selling
downloadable ringtones for your doorbell.

This would be a really good use for a recycled iPod.

Geoff.