[geeks] Brother laser printers (specifically the 2170W)?

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:12:32 CDT 2008

What are everyone's opinions on Brother's laser printers? Buy.com has
the Brother HL-2170W on sale for $102 shipped[0] ($92 for new Google
Checkout users) this week and I'm considering picking one up. It's
supposed to have great *nix support through CUPS and it has a built in
print server, both of which are pluses for me.  From what I've read
there are a couple of gotchas[1] with the 2170W, but they shouldn't be
an issue for me.  For light home printing use, is there anything about
Brother printers I should be aware of before I go ahead and order this?

[0]: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206615073
[1]: The biggest issue I see people complaining about is that you can't
have both wired and wireless printing going at the same time, you've got
to pick one or the other. I plan on hooking it up via Ethernet and using
it that way, so this isn't a problem with me.  The other issue (and I'm
assuming this is how all wireless printers are set up) is that the
wireless print server basically acts like an AP, so your wifi connection
cuts out whenever you print.  Again, since I don't plan to use it
wirelessly, that's not a problem for me.