[geeks] running windows XP as an unprivledged user

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 18 06:11:07 CDT 2008

>From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
>Date: 2008/03/18 Tue AM 03:05:33 CDT
>To: geeks list <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: [geeks] running windows XP as an unprivledged user

>I tired running my Windows XP system as an unprivledged user.
>
>Mostly it worked. Where it failed was doing anything that involved
>devices. For example, I could install the drivers for a BlueTooth
>dongle, because the system recognized them and ask for them.
>
>Then I had to reboot to "complete the instalation" and when it rebooted,
>it would recognize the device but do nothing with it. When I logged out
>and in again as an administrator, it ran whatever had to be run to finish.

At $WORK they described a workaround that may work for you - it was described for printers, but I think it could apply here:

1) Log in as administrator
2) Download/install driver (always log in as administrator until install complete)
3) Log in as user (not admin)
4) Add hardware as user (you're not actually installing the driver, your making the installed driver available to the user)

That may work - you would know better than I, but they do it here for adding print drivers to machines on our domain.

HTH,

Lionel